Records & Stats From India vs New Zealand 1st T20I in Auckland
Shreyas Iyer emerged as a new star of Indian cricket on Friday when his calm, unbeaten half-century clinched a six-wicket win for his team over New Zealand in a high-scoring T20 international in Auckland
KL Rahul (56) and Virat Kohli (45) shared a 99-run partnership for the second wicket, setting the foundation for India's chase to New Zealand's formidable 203/5.
Iyer closed out the win by hitting 58 from 29 balls in an unbroken 62-run partnership with Manish Pandey (14).
New Zealand set India's star-studded batting line-up a testing chase after losing the toss.
Colin Munro (59), Kane Williamson (51) and Ross Taylor (54 not out) made half-centuries as New Zealand scored at a consistently high rate throughout its innings to surpass 200.
Here’s a look at some of the key numbers and stats from India’s series opener in Auckland:
- India have won both their T20Is against New Zealand at Eden Park, Auckland - by 7 wickets on February 8, 2019 and by six wickets on January 24, 2020.
- India's total of 204 for four against New Zealand is their highest successful chase in overseas T20Is - their third highest overall.
- India became the first team to chase 200-plus successfully four times in T20Is.
- For the first time, five batsmen have posted fifties in a T20I.
- Shreyas Iyer (58 not out) has posted his second fifty in T20Is - his first in overseas matches. His first fifty was 62 vs Bangladesh at Nagpur on November 10, 2019.
- Iyer's innings is the highest by an Indian batsman in a winning cause in T20Is in New Zealand.
- Shreyas has received his first Man of the Match award in T20Is.
- Lokesh Rahul's tenth fifty (his first against New Zealand) in T20Is is his ninth in a winning cause in T20Is.
- Virat Kohli and Lokesh Rahul have shared a second-wicket stand of 99 - an Indian record for any wicket in New Zealand in T20Is.
- Virat Kohli, with 242 runs at an average of 48.40 in six innings, is the top run-scorer for India against New Zealand in T20Is.
- New Zealand's total of 203 for five is their third total of 200-plus against India. They had scored 219 for six at Wellington on February 6, 2019 and 212 for four at Hamilton on February 10, 2019.
- New Zealand's above score is their second highest total at Eden Park, Auckland in T20Is behind the 243 for six against Australia on February 16, 2018.
- New Zealand's 68 without losing any wicket is their highest in the powerplay against India in T20Is.
- Colin Munro (59) has posted his third fifty-plus innings (a hundred and two fifties) against India in T20Is. He has emulated New Zealand's record, held by Brendon McCullum.
- Colin Munro has established a record for the highest run-aggregate by a New Zealand batsman against India in T20Is, eclipsing the 261 (ave 130.50), including three fifties, in four innings, by Brendon McCullum.
- Kane Williamson's first half-century against India is his tenth in T20Is. Seven fifties have been recorded by him in 26 innings in New Zealand.
- Williamson now shares a record for most fifty-plus innings as captain with Faf du Plessis and Virat Kohli.
- Ross Taylor (54 not out) has registered his first fifty against India - his sixth in T20Is. His unbeaten 54 is his third fifty in a losing cause in T20Is.
- Ish Sodhi, with 13 wickets at 16.46 runs apiece in eight matches, has extended his T20I record for New Zealand against India.
(Make sure you don't miss fresh news updates from us. Click here to stay updated )