Comments by Windies Players Inappropriate, Disrespectful: ICC
The ICC believes that some of the comments and actions by Windies players after winning the WT20 were inappropriate.
The International Cricket Council (ICC) on Monday said that certain comments and actions by some of the West Indies players after clinching the World T20 were “inappropriate, disrespectful and brought the event into disrepute”.
After clinching the World T20 on April 4, following a thrilling last-over win over England in the finals, West Indies skipper Darren Sammy had launched a scathing attack on West Indies Cricket Board (WICB) in an emotional speech at the Eden Gardens in Kolkata.
The ICC Board, which held its second meeting this year at the ICC Headquarters in Dubai on Sunday, said:
The Board considered the behavior of some of the West Indies players in the immediate aftermath of the final, and unanimously agreed that certain comments and actions were inappropriate, disrespectful and brought the event into disrepute. The Board acknowledged an apology by the WICB but was disappointed to note that such behavior had detracted from the success of what was otherwise a magnificent tournament and final.International Cricket Council
Apart from Sammy, West Indies cricketers Dwayne Bravo and Chris Gayle were also very critical of the West Indies Cricket Board, against whom they have been involved in a long and bitter pat dispute.
“The Board also noted that very serious consideration had been given to bringing Code of Conduct charges in respect of the behavior of the West Indies players and emphasised that this was not acceptable conduct at ICC Events played out on a world stage in front of millions of people around the globe,” ICC said in a release.
(The Quint is available on Telegram. For handpicked stories every day, subscribe to us on Telegram)
Subscribe To Our Daily Newsletter And Get News Delivered Straight To Your Inbox.