QWorld: SpaceX Rocket Explodes, Singapore Zika Cases Top 150
A digest of news headlines from around the world.
1. Hispanic Backers Sour on Trump After Immigration Speech
Some of Donald Trump’s Hispanic backers distanced themselves from the Republican nominee for standing by a hardline approach to illegal immigration in a key speech after indicating for weeks that he may soften his approach.
2. Rocket Explodes on Launch Pad in Blow to Elon Musk’s SpaceX
An explosion destroyed a Falcon 9 rocket belonging to Elon Musk’s SpaceX and its cargo during preparations for a routine test firing at Cape Canaveral in Florida, two days before it was due to blast off and place a satellite in orbit.
3. Singapore Zika Cases Top 150; China Steps up Arrivals Checks
China intensified its checks on people and goods arriving from Singapore, as an outbreak of the Zika virus in the small city-state is confirmed to spread to at least one person in neighboring Malaysia.
4. Offshore Quake Prompts Temporary Evacuation of New Zealand Coastal Area
People living in coastal areas of New Zealand closest to a huge earthquake that struck offshore have been temporarily ordered to evacuate, due to fears of a tsunami.
5. Disparate Crises Distract from Obama Bid to Sign off on Asia Shift
Barack Obama started his last trip to Asia on Saturday as US president, aiming to put a final stamp on his signature policy shift toward the Pacific but was distracted by crises ranging from Brexit to the battle against Islamic State.
6. US Imposes Sanctions on ‘Putin’s Bridge’ to Crimea
Companies building a multi-billion dollar bridge to link the Russian mainland with annexed Crimea, a project close to the heart of President Vladimir Putin, have been targeted by the United States in an updated sanctions black list.
7. After Sweeping into Northern Syria, Turkey Faces Hard Choices
Flashing victory signs and firing in the air, young rebels who took Jarablus, a Syrian town, from the Islamic State may be jubilant, but their ability to hold territory will hinge on Turkey’s appetite for keeping its forces inside Syria.
8. China Pressures Hong Kong to Squash Independence Calls Ahead of Poll: Sources
China pressured the Hong Kong government to disqualify six candidates who advocated independence from a crucial city-wide election, as part of a campaign to bolster its interests and win seats for its allies, two sources with knowledge of the matter said.
9. Melania Trump Sues Daily Mail, Blogger Over ‘Defamatory’ Stories
Melania Trump, the wife of US Republican presidential nominee Donald Trump, sued the Maryland-based publisher of the Daily Mail Online and a blogger on Thursday over stories about her past that she believes were “tremendously damaging,” her attorney said in a statement. Late Thursday, the Daily Mail retracted a story in a posting on its website.
Subscribe To Our Daily Newsletter And Get News Delivered Straight To Your Inbox.