QWorld: North Korea Ready to Use Nukes, Romney Calls Trump ‘Fraud’
1. N Korea Leader Asks Military to Be Ready to Use Nukes at Any Time
North Korean leader Kim Jong Un ordered his country to be ready to use its nuclear weapons at any time and to turn its military posture to “pre-emptive attack” mode in the face of growing threats from its enemies, state media said.
2. Romney Calls Trump ‘Fraud,’ Creates Pathway to Brokered Convention
Former US presidential candidate Mitt Romney attacked 2016 Republican front-runner Donald Trump as “a fraud” and urged primary voters to keep the outspoken New York billionaire from getting the nomination, paving the way for possible horse trading at a deadlocked party convention in July.
3. EU’s Tusk Urges Migrants to Stop Coming to Europe
EU Council President Donald Tusk told illegal economic migrants not to risk their lives or money to make a perilous trip to Europe “for nothing” but said unilateral actions by European Union states to deal with the crisis must stop.
4. Five Years on, Closure Has Yet to Come to Fukushima Parents
Takayuki Ueno did not hesitate one moment to expose himself to high radiation five years ago while searching for family members swept away by the tsunami that triggered meltdowns at the Fukushima nuclear plant.
5. US Tech Companies Unite Behind Apple Ahead of iPhone Encryption Ruling
Tech industry leaders including Alphabet Inc’s Google, Facebook Inc, Microsoft Corp, AT&T and more than two dozen other Internet and technology companies filed legal briefs asking a judge to support Apple Inc in its encryption battle with the US government.
6. Indonesia’s Tsunami Warning Buoys Down When Big Quake Hit
All 22 of the early-warning buoys Indonesia deployed after the 2004 tsunami disaster were inoperable when a massive undersea earthquake struck off the coast on Wednesday, a National Disaster Mitigation Agency official said.
7. Ukrainian Foreign Minister Says No Breakthrough in Paris Talks
Ukraine’s foreign minister said there has been no breakthrough in Paris talks aimed at getting a fragile peace deal back on track, repeating that until security was restored there could be no election in the rebel-held Donbass region.
8. German Anti-Immigrant Party Gains Ahead of Important State Votes–Poll
The anti-immigrant Alternative for Germany (AfD) is poised to win almost 20 percent of the vote in a state election and match the ruling Social Democrats in another, highlighting the threat to mainstream parties from the migrant crisis.
9. Google’s Self-Driving Car Team Beefs up Auto Experience
Google’s self-driving car team expanded and hired more people with automotive industry expertise, underscoring company’s determination to move division past experimental stage.