Congress Expels Saket Bahuguna and Anil Gupta for Six Years
Congress has expelled Saket Bahuguna and Anil Patel for six years for alleged anti party activities.
Congress leader Saket Bahuguna, son of former Uttarakhand Chief Minister Vijay Bahuguna, and Anil Gupta have been expelled by the party for six years, citing “anti-party activities”.
Meanwhile, Uttarakhand’s political upheavel shows no sign of abating as both sides – Chief Minister Harish Rawat and rebel Congress leader Harak Singh Rawat – have hardened their stance.
Here are the latest developments:
- Uttarakhand BJP leaders and rebel Cong MLAs will meet President Pranab Mukherjee at 6:45 pm on Monday. News reports suggest that 35 MLAs will meet the President.
- Uttarakhand Congress has dissolved all nine district units of the party in the state
- Harish Rawat, who was scheduled to meet party leadership in Delhi on Monday, was directed to cancel his trip by party vice-president Rahul Gandhi to mitigate the situation in the state, reports Hindustan Times.
- On Sunday, ruling coalition discussed steps to prove their majority on the floor of the House by 28 March, as mandated by governor KK Paul
- Showcause notices were pasted on the houses of Congress rebel legislators
- The chief minister personally oversaw the sealing of the Vidhan Sabha office of Harak Singh Rawat, the former agriculture minister. Sources said there was a proper search of his office and some files were seized.
- Speaker Govind Singh Kunjwal has served notices to nine rebel Congress MLAs seeking their responses by 26 March on why they should not be disqualified from the membership of the House for violating the party and alligning with the opposition BJP.
- The former agriculture minister after receiving the notice said that he was still part of the Congress but wanted the removal of the chief minister.
Nine Congress legislators led by Harak Singh Rawat had rebelled against the chief minister last week when they sought a vote division on the floor of the House. The speaker rejected the demand.
Subscribe To Our Daily Newsletter And Get News Delivered Straight To Your Inbox.