Bhaichung, Shukla, Saradha Scam Accused, in Trinamool List
Within an hour after the election schedule was announced for West Bengal, the ruling Trinamool Congress on Friday released its list of candidates for all 294 assembly seats, re-nominating Saradha Ponzi-scam-accused Madan Mitra.
Mitra, now behind bars in connection with the multi-billion rupee scandal, will contest from his old constituency of Kamarhati in North 24 Parganas district, announced Chief Minister and Trinamool supremo Mamata Banerjee.
- Mitra will contest from Kamarhati in North 24 Parganas District.
- Laxmi Ratan Shukla will contest from Howrah North.
- Vaishali Dalmiya will contest from Bally in Howrah District.
- Sohom will contest from Barjora in Banjura District.
- Bhaichung Bhutia will contest from Siliguri.
- Syed Rahim Nahi will contest from Pandua in Hooghly.
Former India cricketer Laxmi Ratan Shukla will fight his maiden electoral battle from Howrah North.
Late cricket administrator Jagmohan Dalmiya’s daughter Vaishali Dalmiya will contest from Bally in Howrah district while leading Bengali film actor Sohom bagged the Trinamool ticket from Barjora in Bankura district.
Soccer legend Bhaichung Bhutia, who lost the Lok Sabha polls two years back, will try his luck for a second time from Siliguri. Another renowned footballer, Syed Rahim Nabi, is the candidate from Pandua in Hooghly.
(The Quint is now on WhatsApp. To receive handpicked stories on topics you care about, subscribe to our WhatsApp services. Just go to TheQuint.com/WhatsApp and hit the Subscribe button.)