UP Home Secy Calls Saharanpur Violence ‘Well-Planned’ Conspiracy
The Centre has sent 400 anti-riot police personnel to Saharanpur in Uttar Pradesh to help the state restore peace.
Terming the recent caste-based violence a "well-planned" conspiracy, Uttar Pradesh Principal Home Secretary Mani Parsad Mishra said on Friday that those responsible will not be spared.
Addressing a press conference here, he said though there had been incidents of violence reported from the district in the last few years, it had not attained the magnitude which was witnessed during 20 April, 5 May, 9 May and 23 May clashes.
“It was also witnessed that since the 20 April violence, the intensity of such incidents has been on a rise and somewhere it has been felt that there was something lacking in police administration,” he said, adding that a new team was sent to the district within 24 hours.
He said that in the next 24 hours, the situation is likely to become normal and those responsible for the violence would not be spared and no innocent will be made an escape goat.
After arriving in Saharanpur, he said, he had met a number of people from Shabbirpur, including the aged, women and children, and came across cases in which an 80-year-old man or a 14-year-old child have been made an accused.
Talking about the arrest of the leader of Bhim Army Chandrashekhar Azad, he said he would be arrested soon.
Asked about the ban on the Internet, he said the ban was imposed after there were reports of misuse of social media, but it would be lifted soon when the situation becomes normal.
Internet and mobile messaging services were suspended in the district to prevent the spread of rumours, which the administration feared could spark further trouble.
400 Anti-Riot Personnel Sent to Saharanpur
The Centre has sent 400 anti-riot police personnel to Saharanpur to help the state restore peace in the region.
The forces were sent after a request from the Uttar Pradesh government, which also despatched a preliminary report to the Home Ministry with details on incidents of violence. It said apart from the two deaths, 40 people were injured.
“Four companies (around 400 personnel) of the Rapid Action Force have been sent to Saharanpur to help the state government maintain law and order following a request of the Uttar Pradesh government,” Home Ministry spokesperson Ashok Prasad told reporters in Saharanpur.
The request for the specialised anti-riot RAF and the preliminary factual report came after the Home Ministry asked the state government to send details of the incidents which had taken place in the western Uttar Pradesh district.
(The Quint is available on Telegram. For handpicked stories every day, subscribe to us on Telegram)
Subscribe To Our Daily Newsletter And Get News Delivered Straight To Your Inbox.