QMumbai: HC Comes to Home Buyers’ Rescue; Vada Pav Hits London
The Bombay High Court asks builder to refund investors and other city stories.
1. HC Comes To Home Buyers’ Rescue
In a relief to home buyers affected by the Bhagtani Riyo housing project in Mira Road, the Bombay High Court has asked prominent developer Lakshman Bhagtani and his two sons to submit a detailed list of all investors impacted by the project, and the exact status of their refund at the next hearing on October 12.
The directive came on Tuesday from Justice AM Badar, who is now hearing the anticipatory bail application filed by Lakshman Bhagtani, his sons Diipesh and Mukesh who applied for a prearrest bail in connection with an FIR under Section 420 of IPC lodged against them in Santacruz police station. The FIR pertains to Bhagtani Riyo housing project at Mira Road which the builder has failed to develop after accepting money from several home buyers.
In the previous hearing on September 29 by Justice Revati Mohite-Dere, the court had extended the interim protection from arrest granted to Bhagtanis after the counsel for the developer informed the court that his clients were ready to deposit Rs 22 crore in six equal instalments within six months. They also assured the court that the first instalment would be deposited with the court on or before October 12.
2. Builder Quizzed In Kaskar Case Dies Of Heart Attack
A Nagpada builder, who was recently questioned by the Thane Crime Branch’s Anti-Extortion Cell in the Iqbal Kaskar extortion case, died on Tuesday night. The family said that the 59-year-old builder had no serious illness and his death has come as a shock to them.
Farid Mohammed Ali Welder, a builder and partner with Excellent Realtors that is constructing the 45 - storey Ozone Residential Tower in Mumbai Central area, died due to a heart attack.
Welder was a well-known builder in D-gang’s stronghold, Nagpada area, and was associated with several projects.
“My father did not suffer from any serious illness. He had diabetes and blood pressure but that was never a serious issue,” said Farquan Farid, Welder’s son.
Farquan, who studied aeronautical engineering, says he has decided that he will not join his father’s business.
“I don’t know whether he was questioned by the Thane crime branch in any case. He never spoke to us about his professional life,” said Farquan.
3. HC Asks MU To Admit Nine Law Students Provisionally
Dealing a blow to the University of Mumbai, the Bombay High Court on Wednesday asked it to grant provisional admission in LLM course to nine final-year law students, who had knocked on its door, seeking speedy checking of their LLB papers that are under reevaluation.
A total of 15 law students had filed three writ petitions in the High Court after they had to apply for re-evaluation of the Law of Evidence paper, in which they claimed they were erroneously marked “unsuccessful”, even as the October 5 deadline for LLM admissions drew closer. The law results were declared on August 30 after a delay of two months.
While earlier, the High Court had asked the varsity to accept the LLM admission forms of the initial batch of six petitioners till October 6, the rest got the relief of provisional admission on Wednesday. However, the petitioners want the reprieve to be extended to all the affected students. They will be filing another petition on Thursday.
4. Spat Over Eman Spurs New Rules For Foreign Patients
The ugly spat between Shaimaa Selim, sister of Eman Ahmed, once the world’s heaviest woman who died in Abu Dhabi last week, and bariatric surgeon Dr Muffazal Lakdawala of Mumbai’s Saifee Hospital, in April this year has prompted the Maharashtra government to make new rules for foreign patients and protocols for treatment.
The Maharashtra state health department is working on a new protocol for foreign patients who come to the state for medical treatment. The move is important given the recent controversy over the treatment of the late Eman Ahmed, formerly the world’s heaviest woman, who had been admitted to Mumbai’s Saifee Hospital before being moved to a hospital in Abu Dhabi.
State Health Minister Dr Deepak Sawant has asked the Director of Health services (DHS) and Director of Medical Education and Research (DMER), along with medical experts, to provide suggestions for new regulations to govern medical tourism. Officials said the new protocol would be implemented within two months.
5. Mumbai Duo Makes Rs 4.4 Crore A Year Selling Vada Pav In London
Back in 2010, when the effects of global recession began to be felt, London-based Sujay Sohani remembers receiving a message from his boss, informing him that he had lost his job as food and beverage manager at the five-star hotel where he worked. With chances of survival looking bleak, Sohani reached out to his college-mate, Subodh Joshi, for help. A dejected Sohani told Joshi he didn't even have enough cash for a measly vada pav. This one statement would turn Sohani's fortune around.
Days later, Sohani struck on the idea to start a vada pav chain in London. Seven years on, three branches and an annual turnover of £5,00,000 (Rs 4.39 crore approx) later, the duo -- both of whom hail from Mumbai -- has become a force to reckon with on London's street food scene.
Sohani, a resident of Thane, and Joshi, originally from Wadala, first met at Bandra's Rizvi College in 1999, where they were studying hotel management. "After completing the course, we decided to pursue a post graduate degree in London. When we finished the course, we got jobs in reputed hotels and were earning well. Everything was fine, until the recession hit us," Joshi says.
6. Start Managing Waste In Three Months, BMC Tells Societies
Of the 5,304 bulk waste generators in the city, only 470 housing societies have responded to Brihanmumbai Municipal Corporation's (BMC's) order of giving a written assurance that they would start waste segregation and management within the next three months.
Following the Central government's directives, earlier the civic body had asked the bulk waste generators, such as societies and establishments that produce 200 kg of waste daily, to give the written assurances by October 2. However, till date, only 470 housing societies have set up waste processing units on their premises.
According to sources, as most of the establishments have cited a number of issues in starting the waste management process, the civic body has agreed to give them a three-month extension. "Societies should approach us by October 10. If they fail to respond within that time, we'll stop collecting garbage from their premises. We have given them a three-month extension to start the process," said a senior civic official, adding, "We will send fresh notices to societies that have not responded. They will have to start segregating and composting waste."
Never Miss Out
Stay tuned with our weekly recap of what’s hot & cool by The Quint.