INX Media Case: CBI Takes Karti to Mumbai for Further Questioning
Karti Chidambaram was arrested early on 28 February by the CBI in Chennai.
After intense drama over the course of two days, the Patiala House Court on Thursday, 1 March, sent Karti Chidambaram, son of former finance minister P Chidambaram, to CBI custody till 6 March in the INX Media case. The next hearing in the case is scheduled for 12 noon on 6 March.
However, the CBI had sought 14-day custody in its remand application.
Speaking after the court order on Thursday, Karti said, “I will be vindicated eventually”.
The court’s order came a day after Karti was arrested by the CBI at Chennai airport. On Wednesday, he was also produced before the Delhi court, which sent him to one-day police custody. The CBI has currently taken him to Mumbai for further questioning.
- Karti Chidambaram has been remanded in CBI custody till 6 March
- Speaking after the court order, Karti Chidambaram said, “I will be vindicated eventually”
- The order by the Patiala House Court on Thursday, 1 March, came soon after the arguments regarding the INX Media case concluded
- Additional Solicitor General of India Tushar Mehta said on Thursday that Karti Chidambaram had been uncooperative, and had asked for 14-day custody
- The CBI had said the whole purpose of Wednesday’s custody was defeated as the doctors shifted Karti to a Cardiac Care Unit, when he did not even complain of anything
- Meanwhile Singhvi, counsel for Karti, had countered the arguments saying that it was all motivated and there were no grounds of arrest given to his client
- Speaking on behalf of Karti, Singhvi on Wednesday said, “I’m not a Hindustan ‘leaver,’ I’m a Hindustan returner”
- Karti was arrested on the basis of statements given by Peter and Indrani Mukerjea, who claimed P Chidambaram asked for their help, CBI said
Karti Taken to Byculla Jail, To Meet Mukerjeas Separately
After bringing him to Mumbai, the CBI took Karti to the Byculla jail, where he will be meeting with Indrani Mukerjea and Peter Mukerjea separately, reports ANI.
CBI Takes Karti to Mumbai for Further Questioning
As reported by ANI, the CBI has taken Karti to Mumbai for further questioning in his role in the INX Media Case.
NDTV reports that sources in the CBI have mentioned that Karti will probably be confronted alongside Indrani Mukerjea, the former owner of INX Media. Mukerjea had told the Enforcement Directorate last week that her husband Peter Mukerjea and her had met P Chidambaram to seek government approval to foreign investment proposals that valued a rough Rs. 300 crore in their company.
INX Media & Aircel-Maxis: Long Legal Battle Awaits The Chidambarams
A long legal battle is in the offing for P Chidambaram and his son Karti Chidambaram as the father-son duo are in the radar of the probe agencies in another case concerning the Aircel-Maxis deal, reported PTI.
P Chidambaram's role in granting FIPB approval to an offshore firm in the Aircel-Maxis deal is under investigation by the agency.
Subscribe To Our Daily Newsletter And Get News Delivered Straight To Your Inbox.
07:34 PM, 01 Mar'I Will be Vindicated Eventually': Karti Chidambaram After Court Order
07:09 PM, 01 MarNo Appeal to be Filed Against the Order, Say Karti's Lawyers
07:00 PM, 01 MarKarti Chidambaram Sent to CBI Custody Till 6 March
06:00 PM, 01 MarArguments Conclude, Order to be Pronounced Soon
05:56 PM, 01 MarNo Necessity for Arrest Has Been Shown in the Case: Singhvi
05:01 PM, 01 MarWhy Haven't the Then FIPB Head and Secretaries Been Questioned: Singhvi
03:59 PM, 01 Mar'Whole Purpose of Wednesday's Custody Was Defeated': CBI
03:02 PM, 01 MarP Chidambaram Arrives in Court
02:56 PM, 01 MarCBI Seeks 14-Day Remand
02:42 PM, 01 MarAdditional Solicitor General of India appearing for CBI
02:12 PM, 01 MarKarti Arrives in Court
09:47 AM, 01 MarKarti to be Produced Before Delhi Court
07:39 PM, 28 FebKarti Chidambaram Sent to 1-Day Police Custody
06:53 PM, 28 FebCBI Seeks Karti's Custody on Grounds of Indrani Mukerjea's Statement
06:13 PM, 28 FebCBI Seeks 15-Day Custody of Karti
06:02 PM, 28 Feb'Karti's Arrest is Motivated': Abhishek Manu Singhvi
05:51 PM, 28 FebWatch: Congress Addresses Press Conference on Karti Chidambaram's Arrest
05:22 PM, 28 Feb'Karti Chidambaram Evasive, Made Incorrect Statements': CBI
04:50 PM, 28 FebKarti's Chartered Accountant Files Bail Plea
03:22 PM, 28 FebKarti at CBI Headquarters
02:49 PM, 28 FebAbhishek Manu Singhvi to Appear For Karti in Court
02:26 PM, 28 FebKarti Enroute Delhi's Patiala House Court
01:32 PM, 28 FebCBI Team Reaches Delhi With Karti
12:00 PM, 28 FebNo Justification to Arrest Karti Without Charge-Sheet: Prashant Bhushan
11:21 AM, 28 FebCBI Team Leaves for Delhi
10:57 AM, 28 FebTrail Will Ultimately Lead to P Chidambaram: Subramanian Swamy
09:20 AM, 28 FebCongress Calls Karti's Arrest a 'Classic Diversionary Tactic'
09:02 AM, 28 FebP Chidambaram's Son, Karti, Arrested by CBI