Car Ours, Son Wasn't in It: BJP Min Ajay Mishra on SUV That Ran Over Farmers
The police has registered an FIR against MoS Ajay Mishra's son Ashish under various sections, including murder.
Accepting that the vehicle that was seen mowing farmers down in Uttar Pradesh’s Lakhimpur Kheri on Sunday, 3 October, was indeed theirs, Union Minister of State (MoS) Ajay Mishra told NDTV neither him nor his son were present in it.
The police has registered an FIR against MoS’s son Ashish Mishra under various sections of the Indian Penal Code (IPC) including murder and rioting.
Eight people, including four farmers were killed on Sunday at Uttar Pradesh's Lakhimpur Kheri after being allegedly run over by a convoy of vehicles, including one with Ashish Mishra in it. Meanwhile, his father, the BJP minister told NDTV:
“From day one, we have been clear that the [Mahindra] is ours, which is registered in our name. And the vehicle was going to receive someone after picking up our workers.”
On Wednesday, 6 October, however, the minister was quoted by ANI as reiterating that his son wasn't in the vehicle.
So, What Does the MoS Say Happened?
In his quotes to ANI, MoS Mishra said:
"After the car was attacked, driver was injured, car lost its balance and ran over a few people present there."
The minister had also told NDTV that his son was at another venue.
“From 11 am till the evening, he was organising another event. My son was present there, there were thousands there. There are photos and videos. If you take out his call records and CDR, location... can check all. Thousands of people are willing to give an affidavit also that Ashish Mishra was there."
Earlier on Monday, a video, purportedly of the minister's vehicle running over slogan-shouting farmers marching in Uttar Pradesh's Lakhimpur Kheri, was widely circulated on social media including by BJP MP Varun Gandhi.
No Pressure to Resign, No Summons by High Command: MoS Ajay Mishra
On being asked if there was any pressure on him to resign in the aftermath of the unrest, the minister said:
"Why would I [resign]? There is no pressure on us, We will investigate this, and those involved, who conspired, will take action against them.”
He also told ANI that "the party high command has not summoned me", claiming that he will be reaching Delhi by tonight (Wednesday) or tomorrow (Thursday, 7 October) as "I have few works lined up".
He went on to claim that he had never said any ill words against the farmers.
(With inputs from ANI and NDTV)
Subscribe To Our Daily Newsletter And Get News Delivered Straight To Your Inbox.