Six Killed in Their Sleep in Pune Bakery Fire, Co-Owners Arrested
A short circuit is believed to have sparked the blaze.
Six people were charred to death after a fire broke out at 'Bakes N Cakes' bakery in Maharashtra's Pune on Friday morning. The shop is located near Talab company in Kondhwa Khurd locality.
The co-owners, Abdulla Chiniwar, 27, Mohammad Ansari, 24 and Mahammad Munir Chiniwar, all residents of Kondhwa, have been arrested on the charge of negligence, police said on Saturday.
We have registered a case against the three co-owners under sections 304 (causing death by negligence), 341 (punishment for wrongful restraint), 342 (wrongful confinement) and relevant sections of Mumbai Municipal Corporation Act and arrested them.Varsharani Patil, Kondhwa police station Inspector
The victims were asleep on the loft inside the bakery when the fire broke out.
We received a call at around 4:45 am on Friday and immediately fire tenders were rushed to the spot. As we reached the spot, we saw smoke emanating from the shutter of the shop, which was locked from outside.Fire brigade official
The six workers, all from Uttar Pradesh, were rushed to the Sassoon General hospital, where they were declared brought dead.
Since the main shutter was locked from outside, all the six got trapped inside and died of suffocation.Fire brigade official
The deceased have been identified as Ishad Ansari, 26, Juned Ansari, 25, Shanu Ansari, 20, Zakir Ansari, 24, Faeem Ansari, 21 and Zishan Ansari, 21.
Though the exact reason for the fire has not been ascertained, a short circuit is believed to have caused the fire. Citing “human error” behind the same, police said, “The proprietors of the bakery shop did not take necessary precautions for safety of their workers, which led to the mishap in which six lives were lost.”
A case has been registered in Kondhwa police station and the investigation has begun.
(With inputs from PTI)
Subscribe To Our Daily Newsletter And Get News Delivered Straight To Your Inbox.