EQ: Ganga Rejuvenation, Increase in Total Forest Cover and More
EQ: Read About All Things Green, Build Your Environment Quotient
• Odd or Even?
Delhi’s CM has announced a new strategy for reducing pollution in the city. The plan will see cars with odd or even number-plates on the streets on alternate days.
• Could all new construction along the Ganga be banned?
The Government has taken this in-principle decision in order to protect the river health and flow.
• State of our forests:
India’s State of the Forests Report 2015 has been released and there are both positives and negatives – our total forest cover has gone up but we’ve lost around 2,510 sq km of dense and moderately dense forests since 2013.
• 21.34 percent: The percentage of India under forest cover.
• Could a goat ever be a tiger’s best friend?
Watch the story of a rather remarkable friendship here:
• Scale up financial support:
India has called for more robust and verifiable climate finance pledges from the developed countries in order to cope with climate change.
• No beach-camping in Rishikesh:
In a victory for environmentalists, the NGT has affirmed its ban on camping along the Ganga in Rishikesh in order to protect the fragile ecosystem.
• Red Alert for Beijing’s “airpocalypse”:
Air quality in Beijing has deteriorated to the point where the city’s first ever “red alert” day has been declared.
• Conserving the Amur falcon:
Citizen action can make all the difference – a look at how a highly threatened bird species was saved after efforts from the local community and environmentalists.
• Environmental compensation for dust pollution:
The Delhi government has asked 38 major projects to pay compensation for their contributions to Delhi’s dust problem.
• SEBI concept paper on “green bonds”:
As green bonds gain popularity, SEBI has released a paper discussing ways to regulate the sector.
• Which state/union territory in India has the highest percentage of its territory under forest cover?
(c) Madhya Pradesh
(d) Andaman and Nicobar
(Shalini Iyengar is a lawyer and Research Associate at the International University College, Turin.)
Subscribe To Our Daily Newsletter And Get News Delivered Straight To Your Inbox.