Day 16: Was Money Trail the Reason Behind Maria’s Transfer?
Sheena murder probe: Read all the updates as Mumbai Police investigates the case.
What led to Rakesh Maria’s Transfer?
According to a report on Rediff.com, the talk in police circles is that Maria was about to crack the money transaction trail in the Sheena Bora case. The Mumbai police’s Economic Offenses Wing had begun investigations into the money trail and Mumbai police officers had visited Singapore in this connection.
The focus has now shifted to Fadnavis’ intentions. Why did the chief minister bring Maria back to head the Sheena Bora investigation after removing him as police commissioner a few hours earlier? Fadnavis will have to answer these questions when he returns from Japan.
What We Know So Far
- Police is scanning Indrani Mukerjea, Peter Mukerjea and Sanjeev Khanna’s visit to Khanna’s heritage property in January this year. They were there to convince locals about the proposal to turn the Rajbari mansion in Bawali into a luxury hotel. Peter and Indrani Mukerjea travelled to Bawali village, around 30 km from Kolkata, along with Indrani’s former husband Sanjeev Khanna, where they distributed brochures of their tourism project with a childhood photograph of Sheena Bora on the cover. (Mumbai Mirror)
- “Prima facie, it appears that Peter and Indrani visited Bawali a few times along with Khanna. We are investigating the financial links between them,” a Mumbai Police officer said. (Mumbai Mirror)
- Rakesh Maria, who was shunted out as police commissioner on Tuesday, has since indicated his unwillingness to oversee the investigation into the Sheena Bora murder case, which he was heading earlier. (Times of India)
- Former Mumbai Police Commissioner Rakesh Maria had sought for the position of Director General, Anti-Corruption Bureau (ACB), Maharashtra home department officials confirmed Wednesday. When state government officials met Maria a fortnight ago and asked him his preference, he expressed an interest in becoming the next ACB chief. (The Indian Express)
- Sources said that with the current government’s perception of Maria being close to the previous government, that posting seemed difficult. The media projected his transfer as an excess of power on the part of the government. (The Indian Express)
Subscribe To Our Daily Newsletter And Get News Delivered Straight To Your Inbox.