Day 15: Maria Not Keen On Sheena Murder Investigation Anymore
Sheena Bora murder probe: Read all the updates as the Mumbai police takes the investigation forward.
Rakesh Maria Not Interested in Sheena Murder Investigation Anymore
Ousted Mumbai Police Commissioner Rakesh Maria is not interested in leading the investigation into the sensational Sheena Bora murder case after his transfer on Tuesday as Director-General of Police (Home Guards), top police sources confirmed to The Quint.
Without written directives, Maria has no locus standi to pursue the case which is being pursued on the ground by a team of officers whom he has complete faith and trust on.
— Senior Official to The Quint
Even if Rakesh Maria is to be retained as the head of the investigation, sparks are expected to fly due to power struggle between the Rakesh Maria and newly appointed Mumbai Police Commissioner Ahmed Javed.
Read a detailed report on The Quint.
Forensic Tests Ascertain Sheena-Indrani DNA Link
Forensic Science Laboratory (FSL) Director, BB Daundkar, has confirmed that Sheena’s DNA also ascertain that she was Indrani’s daughter and not sister.
Sheena’s DNA has also matched with Mikhail bora.
FSL is yet to match with Siddharth Das, who claimed to be her father.
Rakesh Maria on Sheena Murder Investigation
Mumbai police rubbishes the report claiming the investigating team of Sheena bora will be changed.
The same team will continue investigation, including Rakesh Maria, but he hasn’t received written orders for the same, according to media reports.
Sources, however, confirmed to The Quint that Rakesh Maria will get written official orders soon.
Top Cop Rakesh Maria’s ‘Promotion’ Raises Eyebrows
Mumbai police commissioner Rakesh Maria’s sudden promotion has kicked up quite a storm. Many are now asking if it was his ‘overzealous’ involvement in the Sheena Bora case that played a key role in the promotion.
- No meeting of the Police Establishment Board (PEB), which is authorised to make appropriate recommendations regarding postings and transfers of officials, was held in this case. (The Indian Express)
- “There are firm reasons behind all government decisions and this one is no different. The decision was well thought out and was taken only after due deliberation and discussion at the highest level,” said KP Bakshi, additional chief secretary (home). (Hindustan Times)
- The state government chose to douse the flames by suggesting Maria can continue to supervise the Sheena murder probe but officials said it would not be tenable with a new police commissioner in place. (The Telegraph)
- The officer’s keen interest and direct involvement in the Sheena case had elicited sarcasm from Maharashtra chief minister Devendra Fadnavis who also holds the home portfolio. (The Telegraph)
- “Fadnavis had also asked him not to personally interrogate the accused and the others in the case. In fact, he had asked him ‘why do you need to keep going to the Khar police station’,” said a police source. (The Telegraph)
- The political circles were abuzz with strong criticism of the government action. The Opposition alleged that the investigation of Peter Mukherjea, former Star India head, had possibly unearthed a money-laundering racket linked to big corporates and leaders in Delhi. (The Hindu)
- Rakesh Maria, who was on Tuesday shunted to the State Home Guard department, is the latest addition to the list of police officers and babus who have got the ‘Fadnavis treatment’. (Mumbai Mirror)
Subscribe To Our Daily Newsletter And Get News Delivered Straight To Your Inbox.