ADVERTISEMENT

300 Kids Fall Sick in UP From Inhaling Toxic Gas, CM Orders Probe

The fumes from the waste treatment plant in Shamli, UP made the children sick. The sugar mill has been shut.

Updated
India
2 min read
Around 300 students were taken ill.
i

Around 300 students were taken ill on Tuesday after inhaling toxic gas emitted by a sugar mill near their school in Uttar Pradesh’s Shamli district, the police said. This comes while Chief Minister Yogi Adityanath, BJP President Amit Shah and Minister of Information and Broadcasting Smriti Irani are unveiling projects in Amethi. CM Yogi Adityanath has ordered a probe into the matter by Commissioner Saharanpur.

The students of a private school in Shamli started complaining of stomach ache, nausea and burning sensation in their eyes after gas leakage from a neighbouring sugar mill.

We have come to know that similar incidents had taken place in the past. A probe is on and strict action will be taken against those responsible.
Prashant Kumar, ADG, Meerut zone
Students reported vomiting and headaches.
Students reported vomiting and headaches.
(Photo: ANI)
ADVERTISEMENT

He said all the children are safe and are undergoing treatment in various hospitals.

Principal Secretary, Information, Awanish Awasthi told PTI that "The CM has ordered a probe into the Shamli incident by Commissioner Shaharanpur and directed the DM and all local officers to provide all possible help to the affected children."

Locals alleged that sugar mill employees used to discharge chemicals in waste dumps leading to emission of harmful gas, inhaling which the children fell ill, with some of them falling unconscious. The sugar mill has been sealed by authorities.

Students of Saraswati Shishu Mandir school have fallen ill.
Students of Saraswati Shishu Mandir school have fallen ill.
(Photo: ANI)

Panic-stricken parents rushed to the school and took their wards away. Some were taken to private hospitals for treatment.

Total chaos prevailed in the school for over two hours as medical teams rushed to the school late and the children were left to fend for themselves, some parents said.

There is no medical emergency facility at the school, they added.

The students fell ill due to the fumes from a waste plant at a sugar mill.
The students fell ill due to the fumes from a waste plant at a sugar mill.
(Photo: ANI)

(With inputs from PTI and IANS.)

(Breathe In, Breathe Out: Are you finding it tough to breathe polluted air? Join hands with FIT in partnership with #MyRightToBreathe to find a solution to pollution. Send in your suggestions to fit@thequint.com or WhatsApp @ +919999008335)

(At The Quint, we are answerable only to our audience. Play an active role in shaping our journalism by becoming a member. Because the truth is worth it.)

Published: 
ADVERTISEMENT
Stay Updated

Subscribe To Our Daily Newsletter And Get News Delivered Straight To Your Inbox.

Join over 120,000 subscribers!
ADVERTISEMENT