Kerala Police Arrests 11 in Connection With Tribal Youth’s Murder

The accused have been booked under sections of the IPC and the Forest Act.

2 min read
 Thirty-year-old Madhu died after he was beaten up by a gang of at least 15 men on 22 February.

The Kerala Police on Saturday, 24 February, said it has arrested nine more persons in connection with the murder of a 27-year-old "mentally unfit" tribal man, who was attacked in the forest near Palakkad by a lynch mob for alleged theft.

Apart from these, another four more are to be arrested.
Inspector General of Police MR Ajithkumar to IANS

Of the 11 persons named in the 22 February attack, police arrested two on Friday, while nine were arrested on Saturday. Eight have been charged for murder. Ajithkumar, who is leading the probe, told the media that all 11 accused were in police custody.

The reason for the death is injury caused to the head. 
Ajithkumar, quoting Madhu’s autopsy report

The perpetrators have been booked under various sections of the Indian Penal Code and the Forest Act, including murder and illegal confinement.

The autopsy report of Madhu has revealed that the victim died of severe internal bleeding.

Madhu, who was attacked by the lynch mob in the forest near Palakkad on Thursday evening, later died at a police station, after suffering severe injuries to his head, ribs and chest.

Following the autopsy, the body was taken to his home near Agali in Palakkad district on Saturday. Madhu's sister, Chandrika, has accused the Forest Department officials of failing to do their duty.

Madhu lived in the forest in a cave and access to this place is only to those who have the right. We are surprised how this group of people managed to go into the forest and beat him up. Moreover, after he was beaten up, he was made to walk from inside the forest to the police station. He was hardly able to walk.
Madhu’s sister, Chandrika

"When Madhu asked for water, he was teased and after giving a few drops they dropped the rest of the water on the ground to mock him," she added. Chandrika said while an injured Madhu struggled to walk with his injuries, a Forest Department jeep followed him.

State Forest Minister P Raju told media persons that he will look into the matter raised by Chandrika, and appropriate action would be taken against the offenders.

Madhu was beaten to death after his hands were tied using his dhoti by a group of people who accused him of theft, according to the victim's mother.

(The Quint, in association with BitGiving, has launched a crowdfunding campaign for an 8-month-old who was raped in Delhi on 28 January 2018. The baby girl, who we will refer to as 'Chhutki', was allegedly raped by her 28-year-old cousin when her parents were away. She has been discharged from AIIMS hospital after undergoing three surgeries, but needs more medical treatment in order to heal completely. Her parents hail from a low-income group and have stopped going to work so that they can take care of the baby. You can help cover Chhutki's medical expenses and secure her future. Every little bit counts. Click here to donate.)

(The Quint is available on Telegram. For handpicked stories every day, subscribe to us on Telegram)

Stay Updated

Subscribe To Our Daily Newsletter And Get News Delivered Straight To Your Inbox.

Join over 120,000 subscribers!