Nearly Half a Million Affected as Typhoon Wrecks Havoc in China
- At least two people died and 17 others went missing after Typhoon Nepartak battered China’s coast with heavy rain and strong winds that toppled homes and triggered landslides, officials in southeastern Fujian province said Sunday.
- Fujian’s water resources department said that more than 438,000 people had been relocated. Hundreds of flights and trains were canceled, while damaged power stations left swaths of the province without electricity.
- Nepartak, the first typhoon of the season, first struck Taiwan on Friday with even greater power, leaving two people dead and 72 injured.
- The government revealed on Friday that 164 people have been killed by floods, hail and landslides since June 30 in China and a total of 32 million people across 26 provinces have been affected across the country.
(With AP Inputs)
(The Quint is now on WhatsApp. To receive handpicked stories on topics you care about, subscribe to our WhatsApp services. Just go to TheQuint.com/WhatsApp and hit the Subscribe button.)