India to Sign Accord With UAE to Stop Human Trafficking
Cabinet nod for MoU between India and UAE to prevent human trafficking.
sign an agreement soon with the United Arab Emirates on
improving cooperation to stop human trafficking as part of a drive to tackle
the growth in trafficking between the two regions.
More than 1,50,000 people are known to be trafficked within South Asia every year, but the trade is underground and the real number is likely to be much higher.
South Asia is the world’s fastest-growing region for human trafficking and the second-largest after Southeast Asia, according to the United Nations Office on Drugs and Crime.
The official release from the Cabinet reads,
The MoU will strengthen the bonds of friendship between the two countries and increase the bilateral cooperation on the issues of prevention, rescue, recovery and repatriation related to human trafficking especially women and children expeditiously.
The salient features of the Memorandum of Understanding between the two countries are:
- Strengthen cooperation to prevent all forms of human trafficking and ensure speedy investigation and prosecution of traffickers in either countries.
- Taking preventive measures that would eliminate human trafficking.
- Anti-trafficking Cells and Task Forces on both sides.
- Cooperation and and exchange of information between the police and other concerned authorities.
- Expeditious repatriation of victims and safe and effective re-integration of the victims by the home country.
- A Joint Task Force with representatives from both sides.
India also has an anti-trafficking agreement with neighbouring Bangladesh and Bahrain.
Men, women and children are taken from South Asia, Southeast and Central Asia and Eastern Europe and tricked into forced labour and sex work.
Men also go to the UAE voluntarily to work on construction sites, in hotels and as drivers, while women go to work as domestic helpers, nurses, beauticians and cleaners.
(With agency inputs)
Subscribe To Our Daily Newsletter And Get News Delivered Straight To Your Inbox.