Bombay HC to Hear Salman’s Appeal Against Conviction From July 30
2002 hit-and run case: Bombay HC will hear Salman Khan’s appeal against conviction from July 30 on a regular basis.
Bombay High Court on Monday said that it will hear the appeal filed by Bollywood actor Salman Khan against the five-year sentence awarded to him in the 2002 hit-and-run case. The court said that it would hear the appeal on a regular basis from July 30.
Salman’s lawyer Amit Desai had sought adjournment of hearing till August 3; Justice A R Joshi, however, did not consider his plea and decided to hear the 49-year-old actor’s appeal from July 30.
Murder Convict Appeals Against Salman Khan Hearing
In a related development, the judge also dismissed an intervention plea for granting a stay on the hearing claiming that the applicant had no locus standi in the matter.
The application had been filed by a murder convict, whose appeal has not been heard since 2009. His contention was that matters involving celebrities, were being heard out-of-turn, whereas those of others were kept pending and such convicts had to languish in jail.
The court accepted the prosecutor’s plea and rejected the application. The judge said that since both the sides in Salman’s case had agreed to expeditious hearing, the applicant had no right to intervene.
The actor did not attend the court today. His sister Alvira was, however, present.
Salman was convicted by a sessions court on May 6 and sentenced to five years’ imprisonment on various counts, including ‘culpable homicide not amounting to murder’ by the sessions court.
A man was killed and four others were injured when the actor’s Toyota Land Cruiser ran over them while they were asleep on a pavement outside a bakery in suburban Bandra on September 28, 2002
Subscribe To Our Daily Newsletter And Get News Delivered Straight To Your Inbox.