A former merchant navy sailor allegedly stabbed his father multiple times before setting off an LPG cylinder, leaving 11 policemen injured in East Delhi’s Patparganj area on Sunday.
Rahul Matta allegedly killed his father RP Matta, a retired financial sector employee, before he turned to attack his mother Renu Matta.
“The deceased had recently come back from Canada, and had disowned his son Rahul. He had also gotten his son banned from entering the society where he lived,” said Omvir Bishnoi, DCP (east). Rahul allegedly has a criminal history, including a molestation case against him.
Immediately after the incident, Rahul was arrested under Section 107/51 of the Indian Penal Code.
How it Unfolded
- Rahul reached Ajanta Apartments and demanded that the gate be opened.
- Upon refusal by the security guards, Rahul starting arguing with them.
- “Some residents called RP Matta. Seeing his father, Rahul got agitated and attacked him. He stabbed him more than 10 times inside the guards’ room. He then barged inside the society, towards his home, after injuring a security guard. One of their neighbours, Renu Bansal (51), tried to stop him but he stabbed her too and rushed upstairs,” police said.
- Rahul then barged into neighbour VK Sharma’s house. He informed Sharma that he had killed his father. Sharma then went into an adjacent room and locked himself up.
- At the same time, police arrived at the spot after which Rahul locked himself inside Sharma’s kitchen.
- He then set the house on fire, injuring 11 policemen, himself and his neighbours.