Japan quake toll rises to 21

Japan quake toll rises to 21

Published
Hot News Text
2 min read
HOKKAIDO, Sept. 6, 2018 (Xinhua) -- Photo taken on Sept. 6, 2018 shows a damaged road after an earthquake in the town of Atsuma, Hokkaido prefecture, Japan. Nine people were confirmed dead and 300 people were injured after a strong earthquake rocking Japan
HOKKAIDO, Sept. 6, 2018 (Xinhua) -- Photo taken on Sept. 6, 2018 shows a damaged house after an earthquake in the town of Atsuma, Hokkaido prefecture, Japan. Nine people were confirmed dead and 300 people were injured after a strong earthquake rocking Japan
HOKKAIDO, Sept. 6, 2018 (Xinhua) -- Photo taken on Sept. 6, 2018 shows a damaged house after an earthquake in the town of Atsuma, Hokkaido prefecture, Japan. Nine people were confirmed dead and 300 people were injured after a strong earthquake rocking Japan
HOKKAIDO, Sept. 6, 2018 (Xinhua) -- Photo taken on Sept. 6, 2018 shows a damaged road after an earthquake in the town of Atsuma, Hokkaido prefecture, Japan. Nine people were confirmed dead and 300 people were injured after a strong earthquake rocking Japan
HOKKAIDO, Sept. 6, 2018 (Xinhua) -- Photo taken on Sept. 6, 2018 shows a damaged road after an earthquake in the town of Atsuma, Hokkaido prefecture, Japan. Nine people were confirmed dead and 300 people were injured after a strong earthquake rocking Japan
Tokyo, Sep 8 (IANS) The toll from a 6.7-magnitude earthquake that struck Japan's Hokkaido prefecture earlier this week, has increased to 21 with 13 others still reported missing, the government announced on Saturday.
Chief Cabinet Secretary Yoshihide Suga told a press conference that a total of 40,000 people, including police, firefighters, Self-Defence Force personnel and Japan Coast Guard, are searching for the missing and helping the disaster-hit areas, reports Xinhua news agency.
After the powerful quake on Thursday, some 2.95 million homes in Hokkaido were without electricity as the whole prefecture suffered a power outage.
Suga said that while power was restored in most of the areas, some 20,000 households were still without electricity, and he urged homes and offices already with power to cut usage by about 10 per cent.
According to public broadcaster NHK, as of 6 a.m. on Saturday morning, some 30,000 households across Hokkaido were still without water supply.
About 12,000 people were still taking refuge in more than 430 emergency evacuation shelters across the prefecture, said the public broadcaster.
--IANS
ksk

(This story was auto-published from a syndicated feed. No part of the story has been edited by The Quint.)

(This story was auto-published from a syndicated feed. No part of the story has been edited by The Quint.)

(The Quint is available on Telegram. For handpicked stories every day, subscribe to us on Telegram)

We'll get through this! Meanwhile, here's all you need to know about the Coronavirus outbreak to keep yourself safe, informed, and updated.

Stay Updated

Subscribe To Our Daily Newsletter And Get News Delivered Straight To Your Inbox.

Join over 120,000 subscribers!