China’s State Oceanic Administration (SOA) has issued this year’s first red alert, warning people of the havoc expected to be caused by typhoon Nepartak which is approaching the Chinese coast.
Super Typhoon Nepartak lashed Taiwan with powerful winds and torrential rain as it made landfall early on Friday, forcing thousands to evacuate their homes. Packing gusts of up to 234 kilometres per hour, it landed at Taimali township in eastern Taitung county shortly before 6:00 am.
One man drowned off a beach in Hualien county on Thursday.
Nearly 9,000 people have been moved from their homes, which were prone to landslides or flooding and about 1,800 of them were put in shelters. As many as 97,000 households lost power due to the storm, with more than 70,000 still without electricity as of Friday morning.
The government said financial markets, schools and offices will all be closed on Friday.
Most scheduled domestic flights were cancelled while 365 international flights were affected. The railway will be closed for most of the day.
Taiwan’s Central Weather Bureau said the storm had weakened slightly after making landfall but will continue to dump torrential rain across the island for much of Friday.
Last year, Super Typhoon Dujuan killed three people and left more than 300 injured in Taiwan, leaving a trail of destruction.
“Nepartak” Set to Hit China: Trains Cancelled, Red Alert Issued
China, on Friday, cancelled 341 trains in its southeastern Fujian province as the country braced for this year’s first typhoon approaching the mainland. Authorities issued an early-warning response for disaster relief preparations.
A red alert was issued on Saturday.
The SOA estimated that from Friday night till today, sea waves as high as nine metres will emerge in Taiwan Strait, while coastal waters near Fujian Province will see waves as high as six metres.
160 people were killed and 28 went missing in heavy rains and floods in a number of provinces in the last few weeks ahead of the typhoon. In the worst-hit province Hubei, 69 people died, while 16 were missing, state-run Xinhua news agency reported.
At least 160 people have been killed and 28 others were missing due to heavy rains and floods in a number of provinces in the last few weeks ahead of the typhoon. In Hubei, the worst hit province, 69 people have lost their lives and 16 others were missing.
(With inputs from PTI)