Prime Ministers of India: A Journey From Nehru To Modi
A list of Indian prime ministers right before the Lok Sabha 2019 results.
Right before the Lok Sabha Result 2019, here is a list of all the prime ministers that India has had from Independence till now.
1. Pandit Jawaharlal Nehru: Nehru, born in Allabahad on 14 November 1889, was the first prime minister of independent India. He served from 15 August 1947 to 27 May 1964. He studied Law. He was elected the president of Congress for the fourth time on 6 July 1946 and again for three more terms between 1951 to 1954.
2. Lal Bahadur Shastri: Born on 2 October 1904 at Mughalsarai, a small railway town near Varanasi in Uttar Pradesh, Shastri was the second prime minister of India. He served as PM from 1964 to 1966. He studied Philosophy. He led India during the Indo-Pak war (1965). His slogan “Jai Jawan, Jai Kisan” became highly popular.
3. Indira Gandhi: The daughter of Pt Jawaharlal Nehru, Indira Gandhi was born on 19 November 1917 in Allahabad. She was the first female prime minister of India. She studied History, Political Science and Economics and served as PM from January 1966 to March 1977 and was again elected as PM, serving from January 1980 until her assassination in October 1984. She led India into war against Pakistan that resulted in the creation of Bangladesh.
4. Morarji Desai: He was the fourth prime minister of India. He served from 24 March 1977 to 28 July 1979. He studied Physics and Mathematics. He led the government formed by the Janata Party. He also received India's highest civilian honour, the Bharat Ratna.
5. Charan Singh: Chaudhary Charan Singh was the fifth PM of India. He served from 28 July 1979 to 14 January 1980. He studied Law. He was from the Janata Party.
6. Rajiv Gandhi: Indira Gandhi’s son Rajiv Gandhi served from 31 October 1984 to 2 December 1989. He studied Engineering and was the youngest to become PM at the age of 40.
7. VP Singh: He served from 1989 to 1990 as the PM of India. He studied Law and Physics and is known for the implementation of the Mandal Commission for the backward classes. He was from Janata Dal.
8. Chandra Shekhar: He served as the prime minister of India from 10 November 1990 to 21 June 1991. He was the first Indian prime minister who had never held any government office. He was from Samajwadi Janata Party.
9. PV Narasimha Rao: He was the ninth prime minister of India who served from 1991 to 1996. He studied Law and was from the Congress Party.
10. Atal Bihari Vajpayee: Born on 25 December 1924, Atal Bihari Vajpayee served as the Indian prime minister for three terms. First, for 13 days in 1996, then for 13 months from 1998 to 1999 and finally a full term from 1999 to 2004. He studied Political Science and was an excellent poet. He was from Bharatiya Janata Party. India carried out Pokharan-II nuclear test during his tenure.
11. HD Deve Gowda: Previously the 14th chief minister of Karnataka, he was from Janata Dal and served as the prime minister of India from 1 June 1996 to 21 April 1997. He had studied engineering.
12. Inder Kumar Gujral: He served as the 12th PM of India from April 1997 to March 1998. He was from the Janata Dal and had studied commerce.
13. Dr Manmohan Singh: He served two terms as the PM of India from 2004 to 2014. He is an economist and was the finance minister of India earlier. He belongs to the Congress party.
14. Narendra Modi: Previously the chief minister of Gujarat, Narendra Modi is the 14th PM of India. He was elected in 2014 and is from the Bharatiya Janata Party. He studied Political Science. He was also a member of Rashtriya Swayamsevak Sangh (RSS).
Subscribe To Our Daily Newsletter And Get News Delivered Straight To Your Inbox.