Lockdown-Like Curbs in Maharashtra: What’s Allowed, What’s Not?
These ‘lockdown-like restrictions’ will be in force till 30 April. What’s open? What remains shut?
Amid an unrelenting surge in COVID cases in Maharashtra, Chief Minister Uddhav Thackeray led-government on Sunday, 4 April, announced a slew of restrictions in the state, including weekend lockdowns and night curfews.
The state accounts for more than half the country's daily infections and these ‘lockdown-like restrictions’ will be in force till 30 April.
Here is what is allowed in Maharashtra, and what will remain shut.
What services have been ordered to shut down?
- All non-essential shops in malls and markets
- Movie theatres
- All religious places, where only priests will be allowed to enter for daily rituals
- Salons, spa and beauty parlours
- Private offices to move to ‘work from home’ system.
Will educational institutions remain open?
No, except for Class 10 and 12 exams, all schools and colleges will remain shut.
What are the night curfew rules?
- Night curfew will be put in place from 8 pm to 7 am
- Only essential services will be permitted during this time.
What services are allowed to remain open?
- All essential and emergency services like hospitals, pharmacies, ambulance services
- In restaurants, takeaway and deliveries allowed
- Private offices in essential sectors such as banks, stock market, insurance, telecom, electric and water supply
- E-commerce services will function
- Domestic aides have been recognised as essential services.
What are the restrictions on weddings and funerals?
- Weddings have been allowed with maximum of 50 guests
- Attendance at funerals has been capped at 20 people.
Are there any restrictions on public transport?
- Public transport such as buses, auto-rickshaws, trains and flights will continue to operate
- However, buses, autos and taxis to run with 50 percent capacity
- Standing passengers will not be allowed in buses and long-distance trains.
Subscribe To Our Daily Newsletter And Get News Delivered Straight To Your Inbox.