advertisement
The Delhi High Court on Friday, 21 December, rejected a plea seeking more time to surrender by former Congress leader Sajjan Kumar, who was given life imprisonment in 1984 anti-Sikh riots case earlier this week.
Sajjan Kumar had sought more time to surrender so he could settle some family matters. The court had sentenced Kumar to life imprisonment.
A Division Bench of Justices S Muralidhar and Vinod Goel asked him to surrender by 31 December.
In his plea, the 73-year-old said that he has a big family consisting of his wife, three children and eight grandchildren.
Sajjan had appeared before the Patiala House Court on Thursday for a hearing in another case registered by the CBI against him on the recommendation of the Nanavati Commission.
He is facing trial on charges of murder and instigating a mob in the 1984 anti-Sikh riots case pertaining to killings in Delhi's Sultanpuri area.
District Judge Poonam A Bamba was scheduled to record the statement of a key prosecution witness in the case and Kumar had been directed to appear before the court.
Three persons – Kumar, Brahmanand Gupta and Ved Prakash – are facing trial on charges of murder and rioting, in the case pertaining to the killing of Surjit Singh in Sultanpuri.
The witness, Cham Kaur, had on 16 November, identified Kumar before the court as one who had allegedly instigated the mob to kill Sikhs.
Kaur had told the court that she had seen Kumar allegedly addressing the crowd in national capital's Sultanpuri area in 1984 that Sikhs had killed "our mother" and instigated the mob to kill them.
She had further said the next morning, they were attacked, following which, her son and her father were killed.
"My son Kapoor Singh and my father Sardarji Singh were pulled out of the hiding place on second floor, beaten badly and were thrown down from the roof," she had said, adding that she herself received injuries in the attack.
During the proceedings, Kaur had also identified Kumar, who was present in the court.
Before Kaur, another key prosecution witness, Sheela Kaur, had identified Kumar as the one who had instigated the mob in Sultanpuri.
The case was transferred from the Karkardooma court to the Patiala House court by the Delhi High Court, which had directed the district judge to video record the proceedings at the cost of the accused.
Kumar and two other accused, Brahmanand Gupta and Ved Prakash, had said that they were ready to bear the expenses of the videography of proceedings.
The proceedings in the case were earlier stayed, after the victim and complainant Joginder Singh approached the high court, seeking transfer of the case while alleging that evidence was not being properly recorded.
The Delhi High Court had on 17 December, convicted Kumar and sentenced to imprisonment for "remainder of his natural life" in another 1984 anti-Sikh riots case, saying the riots were a "crime against humanity" perpetrated by those who enjoyed "political patronage" and aided by an "indifferent" law enforcement agency.
(WIth inputs from PTI and IANS)